07-01-08 More Radishes

07-01-08 More Radishes

With mounting radishes, I am scrambling to find more ways of using them. I always loved the Vietnamese Sandwich called "banh mi", so I decided to make the radish slaw that goes in it...

banh mi is an Asian food with French influence. Now that's something you don't find very often. You can read all about it in wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nh_m%C3%AC).

For my radish slaw, I used the Crimson Lady Finger Radish and carrots. Slice the vegetables with a Mendelian to match sticks, place them in a large bowl. To make the syrup: Add distilled vinegar and water (3:2) in a sauce pan, add sugar and salt (3:1). Add enough sugar and salt until it taste good. Heat liquid and dissolve the sugar and salt. Cool the liquid, then pour into the large bowl. Let stand for a while, radish will get limp and settled. Place the slaw in glass jars and keep in the refrigerator. Let it ferment sometime (5-7 days) and gives out nice pickling flavors. It will be ready to use. This can last quite a while in the frig. It should go so well with the head cheese from Gartners Meat Maket (http://www.gartnersmeats.com/products.htm)

Bahn Mi Sandwich at last (my version)!
Got some head cheese from Garteners Meat supply (you can certainly use any meats you want, but Garteners' head cheese is my favorite), French baguette from Fred Meyer and I am in serious business. As soon as I got home, I made my Bahn Mi. I slathered mayo and mustard on the cut baguette, piled the head cheese, radish slaw, cilantro and thinly sliced jalapeno pepper. YUM!









No comments: