Chocolate Covered Hazelnut Brittle

After transplanting all my seedlings to the garden, I feel rather good. While patiently awaiting the veggies in my garden to mature, I made some hazelnut brittle. The recipe is easy and it is delicious, a great treat to share with my gardening friends as I couldn't possibly eat it all by myself. Here's how:
Combine: 2 C. sugar, 1/2 C. light corn syrup and a ash of salt in a heavy bottomed stainless steel pot. Cook on low heat until the sugar melts and the syrup turns to a brown caramel (5-10 minutes, depending on the heat). The Add 3 C. hazelnuts, stir and cook for another minute or two. Then add 4 T. butter, 1 t. baking soda and 2 t. vanilla extract. Be careful the content in the pot is VERY HOT, use a stiff spoon such as a bamboo spoon to stir. A silicon spatula can flex and you can burn yourself (I did). Remove from the heat. Stir until everything is incorporated. Pour the content out on an oiled cookie sheet. Spread as thin as you can. Sprinkle 1 C. chocolate chips on top. The heat from the candy will melt the chips, when that happens, spread the chocolate evenly over the surface. Wait till the hazelnut cools completely, break it apart. Keep the pieces in an air-tight container. Enjoy!

No comments: