|Lentil+Brown Rice Salad|
Anytime you can mention heart healthy and delicious in the same sentence, I am all for it. This lentil salad I made fits the bill. Not only it is packed with nutrients and fiber, it is so delicious that you will want to eat it over and over again. As to your standard fare the macaroni salad, you might as well toss it together with the cotton candy. Rather than a set recipe, this is more of a cooking method. So go at it, use whatever pleases your palette, and enjoy!
(1) Soak lentils in cold water overnight in the fridge. Drain the soaking water, add fresh water and cook the lentils in boiling water until tender, half an hour also.
(2) If using brown rice, add cooked brown rice
(3) Add chopped nuts. You can use hazelnuts (my fav), almonds or pecans.
(4) Mix in chopped dried fruit. You can use cranberries, resins, apricot, currents, blueberries or cherries.
(5) Add chopped onion, minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, freshly chopped parsley and a sweetener, such as honey, maple syrup or agave syrup. And salt and pepper to taste.